We’re seeking an Avionics Technician with experience in the research and development of flight vehicles in Mountain View, CA. In order to help advance our goal of bringing revolutionary airships to life, the Avionics Technician will work directly with appropriate company personnel to organize, plan, and execute the installation and troubleshooting of all electrical systems. This position will also provide flight operational support as required.
- Coordinating, planning, and performing systems integration activities on the flight vehicle, ensuring all work is conducted in accordance with engineering data, manufacturer’s publications, and FAA guidelines
- Collaborating with engineering during system integrations, initial systems checks, and flight operations to troubleshoot and execute repairs to all electrical systems
- Leading small teams during the avionics/electrical portion of systems integration and assist in other subsystems as needed
- Fabricating high quality, high-reliability wire harnesses and electro-mechanical assemblies for cockpit systems integration, flight control system installation, fuel and lifting gas management systems, and ESC/BMS controls
- Reading, interpreting, and working from drawings and controlled documentation including wiring diagrams, layout drawings, and mechanical drawings for the assembly and integration of wiring harnesses
- Participating in line maintenance activities during flight operations
- Maintaining all airship maintenance records in accordance with current FAA regulations
- Managing spare parts, consumable inventories, and tool control
- Maintaining all airship maintenance equipment, hydraulic power packs, maintenance platforms, and any additional equipment used to support the airship
- Minimum 5 years avionics experience with a concentration on R&D flight vehicles
- Maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting experience on electrical wiring harnesses
- Previous cockpit avionics retrofit experience
- Knowledge of high voltage electrical, ESC, BMS, and batteries
- Previous experience managing installation teams
- Compliant with all environmental health and safety policies and procedures
- Proficient in using tools such as multimeters, crimpers, high voltage testers, calibrated tools, calipers, micrometers, torque wrenches, and other hand tools
- Proficient in operating man lifts, scissor lifts, boom lifts, and maintenance platforms
- Familiarity with Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Sheets) and other basic technology
- Ability to get DOT driver license
- FAA Airframe and Powerplant license preferred
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.