We’re seeking a self-motivated and hard-working Composites Technician to support the research and development of UAV and manned airships. The role requires extensive composite experience and is to aid in the composite tooling, parts fabrication, and structural assembly process for both R&D and production parts while working closely with both engineering and manufacturing teams. Experience with composite tube fabrication via roll-wrapping, filament winding, tooling mandrels, or other methods is highly desired. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to work with little or no supervision.
- Works hands-on in a shop environment as a team member on activities, including:
- High-performance composite parts fabrication using prepreg and wet-layup composite materials;
- Large-scale bonded composite assemblies; and
- Layup of carbon fiber tools for composite parts.
- Assists in developing new manufacturing processes and technology.
- Provides leadership and training to junior technicians.
- Five+ years relevant industry experience
- Ability to work independently on specific tasks
- Ability to work well with others
- Must have transportation
- Must be U.S. Citizen
- Ability to perform tooling prep work and hand lay-up of prepreg materials
- Ability to cut and trim composite parts within close tolerances using hand tools (e.g., hand router, hand drill, hand sander)
- Knowledge of basic inspection equipment
- Structural bonding of composite assemblies, including surface preparation for bonding
- Ability to perform all tasks in a safe and responsible manner
- Maintains work area in a neat, orderly, and organized manner
- Has no known allergies to epoxies or other composites materials
- Ability to verbally communicate, read and comprehend written and verbal instructions, detailed blueprints, and other similar authorized drawings and documents, and be capable of doing basic mathematical calculations
- Oven, autoclave, and ply cutting equipment experience a plus, but not required
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
- Must be able to communicate effectively
- Must be able to talk, listen, and speak clearly on telephone
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.