We’re seeking a motivated Software Engineer to help build an experimental ‘lighter than air’ flight vehicle. You will work within a dynamic engineering and design team to conceptualize, rapidly prototype, test and implement innovative solutions for the design, fabrication and assembly of large experimental flight vehicles. We believe in fast-cycle development and approach to flight hardware development with the motto “build a little, test a little, learn a lot”. This unique position allows for hand-on participation through all phases of development, from concept to flight of an experimental aerospace vehicle. We are seeking a high energy, passionate software engineer to help develop both infrastructure/testing tools and flight software.
- Creates ground supporting software tools and infrastructure for development and testing such as real-time data ingestion pipelines and visualization dashboards.
- Designs and implements graphics display for pilot controls.
- Develops and extends simulation of hardware components for SIL/HIL.
- Develops flight and control software for integrated flight computer utilizing NASA cFS framework.
- Creates ICDs and other technical documentation.
- B.S. in computer science, computer engineering or related field
- 2-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Proficient in C, C++ and Python
- Proficient with Git version control
- Experience with embedded development and real-time operating systems
- Experience with serial data busses such as RS-485 and CAN
- Good understanding of time series data tools (Pandas)
- Some familiarity with web development stack for creating browser-based data visualization tools (Angular, Vue, React, React-vis, D3, etc.)
- Experience with ARM-based microcontrollers such as STM32 or Teensy
- Detail-oriented and well-organized with excellent communication skills
- Team player, with a can-do attitude and a desire to learn.
- Self-starter with a history of project ownership
- Familiarity with NASA’s open-source core Flight System (cFS)
- Experience with Continuous Integration practices and tools
- Comfort with CMake build tools
- Experience with Linux kernel development
- Familiarity with VxWorks 7
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.