We are seeking a Flight Test Engineer to work closely with core engineering and operations teams on flight test campaigns for our revolutionary aircraft in Mountain View, CA, or Akron, OH. We’re looking for an engineer who is excited to execute flight test ‘firsts’ and to lay the foundation for enabling safe, efficient operational flight testing.
The Flight Test Engineer will develop test plans, write test cards, participate in flight readiness reviews and hazard assessments, coordinate ground & flight tests, perform data analysis, write test reports and document test results, and troubleshoot issues. This position will also contribute to the development and review of the AFM and other documents by collaborating with multiple teams to provide pertinent information.
- Acquiring comprehensive knowledge of airship’s systems
- Building and executing flight test campaigns and associated processes
- Generating system-level flight test procedures and deriving and tracking flight requirements
- Collaborating with engineers, flight test pilots, and operations team to develop flight test plans and write flight test cards
- Planning, organizing, and executing flight test operations
- Leading daily flight test coordination and communication
- Analyzing data, documenting results, and troubleshooting obstacles
- Coordinating with multiple teams in support of flight test objectives and risk hazard assessments
- Collaborating with multiple teams to develop AFM / POH and other guides, instructions, and training materials
- 3+ years experience in flight testing, preferably in a prototyping or agile operational environment
- Experience testing complex flight control, power management, and avionics systems
- Ability to work closely with engineering and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests and operations in a collaborative environment
- Experience with designing test instrumentation systems for ground and/or flight testing
- Experience in FAA certification test programs and thorough knowledge of FARs
- Familiarity with experimental aircraft airworthiness release process
- Proficiency in developing manuals and other documentation
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- A strong safety culture
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in an applicable engineering field, or equivalent
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Experience with first flight efforts of experimental aircraft
- Proficiency in aerodynamics, aircraft performance, and/or digital flight controls
- Proficiency in human factors cockpit/display engineering
- Understanding of design concepts of mechanical, structural, and/or electrical (including high voltage) systems
- Proficiency with NASA cFS
- Proficiency in Solidworks or other 3D CAD programs
- Experience with version control (SVN, git, etc.) and/or PLM (ePDM, Teamcenter, Windchill, etc.) tools
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.