We’re seeking an experienced Principal Materials Engineer to help us build a ‘lighter than air’ flight vehicle in Mountain View, CA, Akron, OH, or Gardnerville, NV. This position will innovate and execute the materials supply chain, as well as lead a team of engineers and technicians to advance our goal of bringing revolutionary airships to life. We believe in fast-cycle research and development, with the motto “build a little, test a little, learn a lot.”
- Identifying materials used in airships:
- Soft structures including gas cells, envelope materials, and ropes & cabling
- Airframe including adhesives, composites, and metals
- Rigid tanks for fuels, cryogens, and trim control
- Energy conversion devices including IC engines, fuel cells, and solar cells
- Identifying materials supply chain and strategic materials partners
- Helping external contractors with materials consulting
- Qualifying materials, including hands-on materials characterization using common, mechanical, chemical, surface analysis, and thermal tools
- Training and supervising technicians and junior engineers in analytical methods
- Outsourcing materials tests when appropriate
- Writing specifications for materials
- Participating in FAA certification of materials
- Finding the path to improved airship performance through advanced materials
- Minimum BS engineering. Advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 15 years relevant experience, preference for aerospace
- Hands-on experience with analytical tools
- Demonstrated success in driving innovation from concept to a shipping product
- Must be able to perform lightweight physical activities relating to supervision of construction on an airship
- Must be able to climb a ladder
- Must be able to carry up to 25kg
- Must be able to work with hand tools or instruments.
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.